Finding a Species
Use the search box in the upper left corner to find a species by common name or scientific name.
By Geographic Location
- The Geography page allows searchs by political entity or geographic location.
It can group the results by species kingdom and/or geographic region. It has limited filtering by Engangered, Invasive,
English name, Relation and if Attributes exist. Certain geographies can be selected or located via maps.
- The Advanced Search page allows searches by political entity or geographic location. It
provides extensive attribute filtering.
- Limited attribute filtering can be done on the Geography page by Engangered, Invasive,
English name, Relation and if Attributes exist.
- Extensive attribute filtering can be done on the Advanced Search page.
- Various Lists pages support attribute filtering.
Each species page has a Citation section at the bottom of the page. The Attributes, Diet, Predators, etc. sections have a
footnote number after each item. The footnote number can be looked up in the Citation section in the "Attributes provided by"
or "Relations provided by" subsections. In the Citation section, each footnote number is prefaced by a ♦.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I determine the Ecozone for an Ecoregion? (Needed for a geography search by Ecoregion)
Lookup the Ecoregion in the Ecoregions List.
How do I link to a species on globalspecies.org?